- The historical center with the cloth hall and the cathedral as eye-catching buildings
- The (from 9 June onwards) totally renovated, world famous In Flanders’ Fields museum
- The Menin Gate and the Last Post. A captivating ceremony you must attend live!
- The old ramparts by Vauban. A solid piece of 17th century history or simply a green oasis of peace and quiet around the town.
- Many cozy cafés, restaurants, … with a sunny terrace on or close to the market square
- The front, known as the Ypres Salient: Passendale, Messines, Hill 60 … a must if you want to experience The Great War around Ypres
- Provincial Domain Palingbeek, the green lung just outside town. Ideal to walk!
- The Heuvelland (land of hills), with the notorious Kemmelberg (mount Kemmel). A rural paradise for walking and biking
- French Flanders, where time stands still between the Catsberg and the Casselberg
- West-Vleteren: the abbey with the world’s best Trappist beer
The center of Ypres has a lot to offer to the tourist. Check for yourself, there’s something for everyone:
Ypres as a base to explore the area. By car or (motor)bike, you’ll be there before you know